PDA

View Full Version : Installer fails with "unable to create appdata directory" prompt.

43Emprah
03-02-2015, 05:50 AM
Windows 7 Ultimate. 64bit.

Never encountered this issue before when installing via an .msi file.

I disabled UAC entirely, and also set my appdata folder to NOT be read only. This is all I could come up with on my own for troubleshooting the issue.

I perused the forums, and unless I missed a post, didn't see a fix for this particular issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Silencer
03-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Generally problems with the installer are related to the OS, we don't use anything fancy other than the Windows Installer. What I found when searching for your issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/error-5-access-denied-setup-unable-to-create-the/e9e9ad9b-9a81-4a99-962e-3e5f0708a855

The problem is with the security permissions on your profile temp folder. To fix it navigate to %temp% or C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local and right click on the Temp folder and choose properties, then click the security tab and click advanced.

On the permissions tab you should see the permissions that are there. There should 3 which are:

'SYSTEM' with Full control which applies to 'This folder, subfolders and files'

'Administrators' with Full control which applies to 'This folder, subfolders and files'

'Your Username' with Full control which applies to 'This folder, subfolders and files'

and all 3 should be inherited from the C:\Users\[Username]\ folder.

If you don't have the 'Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent' option ticked, then tick it and click continue if there are any problems, then remove the permissions that aren't inherited.

Once you click 'Apply' and click 'OK' you should have the permissions to write to the directory and you won't get those error messages any more.

Hope this solves your problem

43Emprah
03-03-2015, 05:14 AM
Interestingly, after my initial post, I had done some trouble shooting into permissions.

Turns out, at some point I had accidentally created a duplicate permission that didn't inherit the parent permissions. For whatever reason, it took multiple attempts to apply permissions after removing the duplicate, but it did in fact work.

Your post, if nothing else, at least got me to revisit that approach, and catch my error. I appreciate the response.

Silencer
03-03-2015, 08:36 AM
No problem, I'm glad you got it working. Let us know if there's anything else.

43Emprah
03-03-2015, 09:20 AM
No luck with the Overlay unfortunately. The streaming overlay seems to load (albeit with a solid grey background blocking the top half of my screen :/ ), but no luck with the regular ingame overlay. Updated to the beta client, with no luck getting the overlay to load either. Both the game and the tracker are running at the same permission level, tried all of the troubleshooting steps posted.

So, no achievement and killstreak notifications, unfortunately, but the tracker is running on my second monitor, and I have Space Marine callouts acknowledging my carnage. That's a step in the right direction.

Probably a bit inappropriate to dig into this in this specific thread I'd imagine. I definitely appreciate the response times, and enthusiasm to help your users, though.