PDA

View Full Version : [Mod/Extras] Recursion Version 10 achievement backgrounds

halsoy
03-03-2015, 09:13 AM
If you are looking for backgrounds, the new thread with much more content is here:

https://recursion.tk/showthread.php?1397-Halsoy-s-collection-of-magically-enchanting-things-and-dings

So, I noticed that in the new Version 10+ binary file of recursion, .gifs actually work. That made me want to make an animated achievement picture for in-game. What immediately came to mind was MLG meme. So I made one of those. When I did that, and sicne I've made one for each of the packs I've made, I figured I could make some more. The faction specific ones are with a mostly transparent background. So here they are:

MLG - animated (yes, it actually works in game, I've used it)

MLG - static (for non-version 10/if you ahve any issues)

Alien VS Predator

Soggy

NC

TR

VS

If stuff like this is something you (royal you) like, I'd be happy to add some more. Just, I see a lot of funny shit popping up with the .gif possibility.

Exploding Fist
03-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Thomas the train with a Fedora. Good lord. Nice stuff man.

Silencer
03-03-2015, 02:04 PM
The animated gifs work?!

halsoy
03-03-2015, 06:48 PM
The animated gifs work?!

Yes. When loading the new "all in one" file you can publish, the animated gif works. But I only got it to work in that. Exactly why would be something you guys know better than me.

Here, I tossed out a few kills to get something to show in game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5U93CWZTOs&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=halsoy

Silencer
03-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Let me ask the guy who engineered our animated DirectX texture system. Wait a minute!

So this is one of the new features our DirectX components support we haven't really talked about. Originally Beta 10 had an animated startup message when you connected to PS2 courtesy of animation guru, Fatter. We dropped it in favor of the old "Recursion Real-Time Stat Tracker" achievement pop-up instead when one of ( probably our only ;) ) Vista users crashed each time it played. I didn't even think of testing this with custom achievement backgrounds and am fairly surprised-- while slightly impressed-- that the data compiles without issue into the new voicepack format, let alone works in-game.

One of the points of animated textures was so we could do things like have FATALITY play in bloody animated drops, or have the headshot icon animated with the bullet traveling. If you have any skill with making those animations I would be willing to revisit that system and update those (and maybe other) achievements.

halsoy
03-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Just as a quick mockup (more like a terrible draft), you mean something like this?

The headshot one is fairly simple to work with, but the fatality one with added blood and whatnot requires quite some time working with. That's not to say it can't be done, just that /effort at this point anyway.

Silencer
03-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Wow, the head shot one is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Could you do it without the background? My goal is to get just the icon animated allowing custom achievement backgrounds still.

And the FATALITY one is harder. I was picturing it like in Mortal Kombat where blood drips down forming the word.

halsoy
03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Yeah, the headshot one is really easy, I'll work on refining the edges, making the skull busting better etc. And without the background. I'll ahve it up here in a few hours (gotta shoot some more planetmans). And yeah, the fatality one is quite a lot of work, even the thing I've made just as an example does the full rotation from photoshop to after effects to premiere and back to photoshop :p For something like the actualy mortal kombat one you'd probably want something modelled in 3D MAX or Blender. I have next to no experience with doing that, but I'm always up for learning. But taking the one I've made and adding blood dripping off of the letters while they're deforming shouldn't be too much work as is.

On a slightly unrelated note though, I've got to say, since I am totally unbiased towards the MLG gif (harrharr), playing the game with that thing popping up at farmfests makes it all that much more enjoyable to play with the MLG sound pack :p It's doubled my normal K/D, not even kidding :D I'm usually at 2.3-27 or something, but right now I'm sitting at 4+

Animated Snoop confirmed stat padding hack

Exploding Fist
03-04-2015, 10:15 AM
wow nice. There are animated gifs of the Fatality one on the Internet, but I think most have white backgrounds, so it would just be matter of finding a good one and fixing the transparency I think.

Having something cool for head shot would be awesome since it's so common. Putting that in the client officially would be neat.

Also if you're ever board you could take a crack at making a few achievement icons if you want. We have a lot missing, and will probably have more missing soon: https://recursiontracker.com/?p=c&c=achievements

You'll get credit on the achievement page for it if you do: (e.g. https://recursiontracker.com/?p=c&c=achievements&id=72 - The size of the icon and image itself (transparent) is what we need). We've been thinking of publically asking for some help on these since we want to add more soon.

If you're not interested that's cool, but you seem like you enjoy contributing (thanks!) and we need some help there. Our artistic abilities are somewhat limited.

halsoy
03-04-2015, 10:43 AM
So did a few of the headshot one, let me know if I'm on the right track:

743 (I have a bias for this one :p )

I'm trying to find some of the Fatality ones and see if I can change the alpha layer, no luck so far. If I can't find anything I might just refine the one I made and add some blood streaks to it. At least that's something I guess :P As far as the achievements go, if there's some that are not part of an already existing chain (so, unique) I could probably throw in a few suggestions.

Silencer
03-04-2015, 10:47 AM
The first one definitely.

halsoy
03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Less is more ;)

Also, just because I could, tripple headshot lel (don't kill me plz)

Silencer
03-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Less is more ;)

Also, just because I could, tripple headshot lel (don't kill me plz)

Guess we have no reason not to make that an achievement now!

Exploding Fist
03-04-2015, 12:54 PM
If only one bullet could kill more than one person at a time. That'd be sweet.

Silencer
03-04-2015, 01:04 PM
If only one bullet could kill more than one person at a time. That'd be sweet.

Could still work for a 3 combo kill headshot.

halsoy
03-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Figured I could throw them in here. I was bored so decided to take you up on the offer of making some of the achievement icons. Only did 4, and you may/may not like them. I don't really know the end vision of the original artist, nor do I have to original project files, so this may/may not work.

Head Hunter 760 (sorry about the double post (per the other ranks, this should be the one with the extra horizontal "spikes" (also note the color similarities, I made this to be platinum colored but it's very similar to silver, colors are easy to cange)))

Lobotomist 759 (this one I'm particularly unsure of - I tried to go for an auraxium feel to it but that also hides most of the crosshair - any material/color you want can be done instead though)

Care Bear Stare 755

I've got a present for you 756

I may do some more if this falls in line with what's acceptable.

Silencer
03-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Wow, those look great!

halsoy
03-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Glad you like them. Anything can be changed though, so feel free to yell out colors or whatnot. Added one more, Submission (may/may not get the point across):

Silencer
03-09-2015, 12:35 PM
So for submission... well we sort of had this idea where it was the portal figure (http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/8c/d0/0609-portal-2_full_600.jpg?itok=AJBoYGQf)... but bent over.

halsoy
03-09-2015, 12:56 PM
By bent over you mean what exactly? Something like this (I went a bit overboard on purpose :p )

Silencer
03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
haha wow, just bent over in a enough to be comically suggestive way. Gray background would be fine. No extra peripherals... lol

halsoy
03-09-2015, 01:21 PM
I'll freely admit that "people shapes" are not my strong suit. So I can only try (and fail). This any better (not ideal but...)?

Exploding Fist
03-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Holy shit nice work on these. That'll do for submission. You can at least get that he is either giving worship, or 'assuming the position'.... or both.

Guess I have some work to do tonight. How do you want your name/tag to show up as credit?

Do more!

Silencer
03-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Holy shit nice work on these. That'll do for submission. You can at least get that he is either giving worship, or 'assuming the position'.... or both.

Guess I have some work to do tonight. How do you want your name/tag to show up as credit?

Do more!

Seriously you've done a fantastic job.

I don't think we have ideas for the other achievements (like we did submission), what you've come up with works really well.

One thing I would like to see redone eventually though is the Executioner icon. Originally executioner was 3 consecutive headshot kills which is why the icon looks like it does. I would like to see it a front view of an infiltrator head in black, with a commissioner to the left, and a bullet exploding out of the right.

halsoy
03-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys. Happy to help. As far as credit tag: [GOTR] Halsoy

Also, while this is still rudimentary:

As you can see it's based off of the more modern Fatality text, but at least it's something. As far as the "fade in" animation, that can be changed.

Silencer
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys. Happy to help. As far as credit tag: [GOTR] Halsoy

Also, while this is still rudimentary:

As you can see it's based off of the more modern Fatality text, but at least it's something. As far as the "fade in" animation, that can be changed.

Thats pretty good. Yeah we don't need a fade in animation, the rest of it is fine.

halsoy
03-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Without the fade in:

And, would this work as far as executioner go?

Exploding Fist
03-09-2015, 03:55 PM
It would, yes. I worked quickly so you can start seeing the fruits of your labour: https://recursiontracker.com/?p=c&c=achievements

halsoy
03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Nice, thanks :D

myothercarisa
03-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Why haven't I seen this thread until now.
My god the MLG banner. I thought it couldn't get any better then the Soggy banner but good grief that is amazing.

Silencer
03-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Nice, thanks :D

Update your beta client. These icons will now show up in-game. Exception is FATALITY as animated textures still need to be reviewed and tested.

We also gave you a thank you tool under Plugins. Run PS2 in windowed mode with this tool to test your creations in-game. Use dasanfall stats to find weapon IDs. Any other questions send me a pm.