PDA

View Full Version : Voicepack creation guide

YellChatWarrior
08-01-2015, 02:25 AM
I have made a guide to voicepack creation in Recursion RTST (for version 0.10.3.3) (PDF link below).

If you have time, I would appreciate any feedback/corrections/additions.

(Questions answered in post below.)

Thanks

PDF guide (updated) (http://www.mediafire.com/view/qtlbq9gw8z530rc/RTST_Guide_130815.pdf)

List of RTST Achievements (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12MbV9c30KkY-5YRYx2JPjliIIKYWqlZSVSMJ2BfUqkc/edit?usp=sharing)

Silencer
08-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Wow, really great job! We'll link to this from our wiki for sure.

Are my achievement background dimensions correct? What happens if image is bigger/smaller – does it get cropped/stretched at all?
Yes, that is correct. Technically the image we use is 460 x 96, but the achievement overlay component always re-sizes it to 454 x 90.

Is there a default transparency applied to the background by RTST?
Yes, 225 / 255 opaque.

What is the best way to save an incomplete voicepack - as a .xml file or publishing each time?
The xml format because you can easily edit it. Publishing a file loses absolute file paths without a matching xml file to load.

What is the difference between Save (creates a .rtst_vpk?), File > Save (creates a .rtst_vpk?) and File > Save As (creates a .xml file)?
Save and File->Save both call the save function. If no current file is loaded somehow, save as is then automatically called. Basically they all do the same thing.
They all are for saving the xml format though, good for quick customization or setting up a new voice pack. The default location is /Settings/AchievementSettings.xml

Publishing is the only way to create the rtst_vpk file which is a binary file containing all of the images and sounds.

Do associated sound files still need to be saved in the RTST directory or is that only applicable to old versions of RTST?
If you distribute an xml file then the directory structure matters, or if you have a version 9 voicepack. If you're distributing a file you published on Version 10, then it is a single file containing all of the data and can be loaded from anywhere on your PC.

YellChatWarrior
08-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the response.

Hopefully this can help a few people out.