PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments

Siveon
04-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Some times I do small games with my friends/outfit like "who get more kills with [insert weapon] in 30 min".
Taken into account that the tracker already shows your kills and with what weapon it would stand to reason a good amount of the coding is already done and can be reused.

Most of the implementation would be done in the website/server, eventually it could be introduced to the client and shown in the overlay.
Another alternative would be to create a stand alone server app that act as a peer-to-peer server, in this case other players would connect via IP address.

"Tournament creation" Use Case:

player goes to the recursion website and selects create tournament.
inserts tournament name.
inserts password(optional)
inserts time to start
selects restrictions(could be "pistols only" or specific weapons)

"joining a tournament" Use Case:

player goes to the recursion website and selects join tournament.
views upcoming tournaments or searches by name.
selects the "join" button on the tournament.
inserts password if required

Silencer
04-10-2014, 10:21 AM
We have done similar events, such as a Harasser death race with some specific rules and a +/- point system. Implementing a tournament interface is one of the next advancements we want to make after the in-game overlay is complete.

Your use cases make me want to start working on this now though... all suggestions should be setup like yours ;)

How would you want score to be displayed? On a screen similar to our stats panel by holding a key down to view it? Or maybe a constant non-intrusive overlay?

Siveon
04-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Well I guess being a programmer my self does help getting the point across to developers.

I would imagine the development process to go like this:

make the feature purely web-centric, checking the "leaderboard" via browser would be easier to do for an initial prof of concept.
Later we could access it via webaps and could also be expanded for non-players to view the live outcome of the tournament(it would require a "public view" option upon creation).
client application would connect to the server to retrieve info and it should show it via both methods. The non-intrusive methods should be the default, while the permanent intrusive version would require its activation in the options pane.
add voice-over for non-overlay users to indicate rank changes like:
"you are now in" [1º,2º,3º] "place",
"you have entered the top" [10,20,30]
"you gained a rank"

How does the app work right now?
Does it use the api directly from SOE or does it query your server?
How does it know when an event such as you killed a player happen for it to query for the info?

Because depending on the answers the above may or may not make sense.