PDA

View Full Version : Hearing all of the default Recursion Announcements?

Talthos
06-01-2014, 01:17 AM
The new update is kickass indeed! But with the list of achievements being quite large (didn't even know half of them existed!), I'd like to be able to hear what plays upon earning each one, so I can properly make announcer replacements. Like, some of the labels aren't the most indicative of when they actually play (Batman, Nightmare, and Quad Damage to name a few), and being able to either preview them in the Recursion app itself or otherwise would be IMMENSELY helpful. Thanks, :)

Silencer
06-01-2014, 02:47 AM
Heh, yeah there are a few of them. We literally exposed the program's internal names for the list.

This update isn't finished and we'll be adding to and polishing the new features. But we did already discuss the possibility of playing the sound file and we weren't really fans of that. Part of the thrill of getting some of the achievements is hearing them. Being able to just click and play them over and over could take away from that.

What about if we display the actual achievement title and description when you click on an achievement? That should help since it usually is exactly what RadLock says. I'll see if I can get that into our next build.

Talthos
06-01-2014, 02:49 AM
Heh, yeah there are a few of them. We literally exposed the program's internal names for the list.

This update isn't finished and we'll be adding to and polishing the new features. But we did already discuss the possibility of playing the sound file and we weren't really fans of that. Part of the thrill of getting some of the achievements is hearing them. Being able to just click and play them over and over could take away from that.

What about if we display the actual achievement title and description when you click on an achievement? That should help since it usually is exactly what RadLock says. I'll see if I can get that into our next build.

Well that, and what particular action(s) actually set them off (Lawnmower is stumping me atm). Unless there's a list somewhere that I missed?

Silencer
06-01-2014, 03:01 AM
Our current published list is here https://recursiontracker.com/achievements

You can put the mouse over the icons to see what they are. Lawnmower is killing 6 people with the AI turret.

The description generally says what sets them off. So if I display that information in the client for each achievement that should help.

Silencer
06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
0.9.2.1 now shows the description, but that is currently limited to existing strings the client has available and not all of the descriptions are trigger conditions. The website should show trigger conditions.

We'll work on putting better documentation (https://recursion.tk/content.php?123-Recursion-Stat-Tracker-Main) together soon.

itechen
06-07-2014, 09:46 PM
But we did already discuss the possibility of playing the sound file and we weren't really fans of that. Part of the thrill of getting some of the achievements is hearing them. Being able to just click and play them over and over could take away from that
what!? i am sorry i am going to have to apologize right away, but that has to be the most ridiculous reason for not being able to preview the sounds.
we now have the option to replace the current sounds with our own and without a preview we will not know if our sounds are better than the ones we replaced them with. And the reason for not already having the function, you're worried the thrill is going to wear off???:emot-effort:

Silencer
06-12-2014, 09:47 PM
what!? i am sorry i am going to have to apologize right away, but that has to be the most ridiculous reason for not being able to preview the sounds.
we now have the option to replace the current sounds with our own and without a preview we will not know if our sounds are better than the ones we replaced them with. And the reason for not already having the function, you're worried the thrill is going to wear off???:emot-effort:

We stand by that reason, but it is also not the only reason.

Our internal sounds are handled differently than the custom sounds, in an admittedly not so efficient way (From a code management perspective). Getting them to play through the preview button currently would take more time both now and in the future to maintain then we want to spend on it. Realistically the code would need a refactor before that ever becomes a possibility.

For now the purpose of the Preview Sound Button is to make sure custom sounds will play correctly through our audio player.

itechen
06-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Our internal sounds are handled differently than the custom sounds, in an admittedly not so efficient way (From a code management perspective). Getting them to play through the preview button currently would take more time both now and in the future to maintain then we want to spend on it. Realistically the code would need a refactor before that ever becomes a possibility.

For now the purpose of the Preview Sound Button is to make sure custom sounds will play correctly through our audio player.
now that is something i can understand. still though i have to insist, would be really nice to preview all sounds seeing as many that are listed we are not even sure what they are, especially new users. if you guys ever find yourselves doing a major rewrite in the future, i would kindly ask that you program this in. thanks for the awesome stat tool.

Silencer
07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
now that is something i can understand. still though i have to insist, would be really nice to preview all sounds seeing as many that are listed we are not even sure what they are, especially new users. if you guys ever find yourselves doing a major rewrite in the future, i would kindly ask that you program this in. thanks for the awesome stat tool.

Well we're in the middle of a rewrite. And after talking to everyone else I think we'll get the preview sound button to work for our default sounds too.

NCDaniel
07-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Impressed with every update. I'm still having an issue when launching the stat tracker, it changes my fullscreen setting(s) to the smallest window mode. It started happening about 2 updates ago.

Silencer
07-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Impressed with every update. I'm still having an issue when launching the stat tracker, it changes my fullscreen setting(s) to the smallest window mode. It started happening about 2 updates ago.

Are you using Windows 8.1 x64? Starting the tracker before PlanetSide first is recommended but it should go back to full screen if you let it wait. Press Alt Enter to quickly change it.

NCDaniel
07-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Are you using Windows 8.1 x64?

Yes.

Starting the tracker before PlanetSide first is recommended but it should go back to full screen if you let it wait. Press Alt Enter to quickly change it.

Perfect. I'll try it later when I'm online.