PDA

View Full Version : Crash on program startup

qIprhSBlBlnjFAxcOLFE
09-24-2014, 11:14 PM
OS Version: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
RTST Version: 0.9.2.8

RTST installs fine, but when I go to run the program nothing shows up except a windows error box saying "RealTimeStatTracker has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."

My version of the .NET framework is 4.5.1 (4.5.50938)
I have tried the troubleshooting steps like installing and reinstalled the VC++ runtimes in the game directory for those version that had them. I've also installed and reinstalled my realtek audio drivers. Nothing works. I've also tried several other version of RTST. The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is that I have EMET 4.1 u1 installed. I've disabled all mitigations on all the executables in the RTST directory, and set DEP, SEHOP, and ASLR to application opt-in. Nothing helped.

In Event Viewer whenever I start RTST I see two application errors:
1. .NET Runtime error :
Application: RTST.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
Stack:

2. Application Error
Faulting application name: RTST.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x541dc8cc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x53159a86
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c42d
Faulting process id: 0x6ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfd88f9075874d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Recursion\RealTimeStatTracker\RTST.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: ce900b9e-4482-11e4-95a9-001fbc092974

Any ideas?

EDIT: DxDiag.txt <<

http://hastebin.com/huwaqapese.tex

>>

Silencer
09-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Did you try repair installing the .NET framework 4.5.1 ?

qIprhSBlBlnjFAxcOLFE
09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Did you try repair installing the .NET framework 4.5.1 ?

Tried it just then. Files verified and the repair completed successfully, then I rebooted. Starting RTST results in the same error message.

Thanks.

Silencer
09-25-2014, 08:25 PM
I downloaded EMET 4.1 update 1 and set it to run with maximum settings and restarted, running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. RTST opened fine, all though noticeably slower.

This may not end up being a simple fix. Our program should always handle exceptions unless this is occurring on a static load which even then should be encompassed. Some basic things you can try right now would be removing our config file completely. It is located under C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\RealTimeStatTracker (this may or may not have been created since your RTST crashes right away)

The other idea is to run system file checker (http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929833) since the faulting module is an included Windows library which I doubt reinstalling the .NET framework would have affected.

If those do not work I would like to take some time to troubleshoot this more specifically with you, but first get you on our newest version (https://recursion.tk/showthread.php?824-Our-Next-Major-Program-Update). It's not quite ready but it may fix your problem as we change how the program starts up and what libraries load. Either way it will make troubleshooting easier. If you want to give me your e-mail I can let you know when it is ready with instructions on how to get it. You can also reach me at silencer@recursion.tk

And thank you for providing the detailed information that you did. I haven't seen this problem come up before and would like to get it fixed for you.

qIprhSBlBlnjFAxcOLFE
09-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Some basic things you can try right now would be removing our config file completely. It is located under C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\RealTimeStatTracker (this may or may not have been created since your RTST crashes right away)

The other idea is to run system file checker (http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929833) since the faulting module is an included Windows library which I doubt reinstalling the .NET framework would have affected.

The config file doesn't exist (neither does the directory). I ran sfc /scannow which reported "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". I'll email you in a second about the new version.
Thanks for your help on this.